Pages

Monday, May 31, 2010

Raise your hand to help someone else

I can't tell you how many times this word of wisdom will set you apart from your peers. For most professors, the subjects they teach are those of sincere passion---one in which many hours of research, blood, sweat and tears have been expensed into discovery.

As such, most professors expect their students to portray the same dedication when it comes to participation in the classroom. Classroom teaching is divided into three parts: excellent, average and below average. Depending on the students’ level of engagement with the subject, the professor will adjust his/her teaching to either of the above. For instance, if their students demonstrate respectable attendance, ask thoughtful questions during lecture, and score well on exams, professors will usually teach with their “best foot forward.” Vice versa, if attendance is sparse, test results uninspiring, and no questions are asked during lecture, most professors will set their lectures to cruise control and thus the countdown to the end of the semester begins.

So what is a leader to do when placed in a mediocre class? The answer is to stand out through participation. Not only will this pay off grade-wise because one will be recognized by the professor as a great student but it helps improve the morale of the whole class in general. As a leader, it’s important to improve others’ lives with your positive actions. Raising your hand “breaks the ice;” it makes it easier for less confidant students to participate in classroom discussions.

Trust me, showing initiative will pay off immensely. This past semester, I had to take Quantitative Business Analysis (a required upper division course). Yes, this subject is not so popular with most business students. In fact, most students in my class chose not to participate at all---at all! Well, I stepped up to the plate; participated in class by raising my hand to answer questions in which I didn’t know the answer. My initiative took care of the rest. Even though I wasn’t the smartest person in my class, everyone thought I was. After taking my final exam two weeks ago, my teacher thanked me for making her class less of a painful experience for others. She then proceeded to tell me that if I ever needed a letter of recommendation that she would be proud to write one. Lesson learned: confidence pays off.

No comments:

Post a Comment